The new Minor in Civic Analytics provides students with an opportunity to apply data-driven solutions to public problems faced by government agencies and nonprofits. The program is designed to address a need for training in data analytics and to respond to the regulatory and social problems that arise from the use of information technology.
Minor in Civic Analytics
The curriculum combines coursework in practical and theoretical foundations of civic and government technology with skills in coding, data collection, and visualization. The minor is also directed at diversity deficits in the technology field, striving to empower and develop a more diverse team with skills and interests in data science application in the public sector.
Civic Analytics Minor Course Requirements
Students minoring in Civic Analytics are required to complete 15 credit hours. Three courses are required and two electives are designed to provide options for students to fulfill their area of choice.
Students must complete 15 semester hours as outlined below.
- PPOL 105: Programming and Data Analysis for Public Policy
- PPOL 210: Introduction to Public Policy OR PPOL 300 Urban Policy and Process
- PPOL 220: Introduction to Civic Technology
Elective Courses (Select Two):
- PPOL 205: Programming and Data Analysis for Public Policy II
- PPOL 210: Introduction to Public Policy
- PPOL 212: Evidence-Based Public Policy
- PPOL 296 Special Topics in Public Policy
- PPOL 300 Urban Policy and Process
- PPOL 303: Bureaucracy and Public Policy
- PPOL 307: Policy Analysis III: Identifying & Developing Alternatives
- PPOL 396: Special Topics in Public Policy
- PPOL 405: Advanced Topics in Policy Analysis: Evaluating Public Policies and Programs
The Minor in Civic Analytics is open to all undergraduate students. Students must meet the minimum GPA requirement of 2.50/4.00 at the time of application. Students must submit a request form online. Students must also consult their home colleges about the acceptability and applicability of CUPPA course credits toward their degrees.
Minor in Civic Analytics Form
Please complete the minor application below. If you have questions regarding this minor, contact Sharon Hayes at email@example.com.