The Census2020 Project, funded by the Illinois Department of Human Services, provides technical assistance to Regional Intermediaries and their subcontractors working to increase Census self-reporting through awareness building and technical troubleshooting.
Michael Collins email@example.com Census Outreach Coordinator and Trainer
Josh Cook firstname.lastname@example.org Design and Communications Research Assistant
Allyson Nolde email@example.com Census Outreach Coordinator and Trainer
Kathleen Yang-Clayton firstname.lastname@example.org Co-Principal
Joe Wentzel email@example.com Project Manager
Austin Zamudio firstname.lastname@example.org Senior Project Manager
2020 Census Resource Guide
- How to use Box for IDHS reporting requirements
Talking to the Press
- A guide for talking about disinformation with the press
Census PSA toolkits in multiple languages
Resources from the U.S. Census Bureau
- 2020 Census official website
- 2020 Census operational timeline
- 2020 Census jobs application site
- Avoiding fraud and scams
- Fighting 2020 Census Rumors – A short resource that answers the question of if these answers will be used against the census takers by law enforcement. Also states questions that should not and will not be asked by the census.
- The 2020 Census and Confidentiality – Another resource that acknowledges concerns of confidentiality. Ensures readers that the FBI, CIA, DHS, and ICE cannot use these answers to persecute anyone in any way.
- 2020 Census PSA: Is My 2020 Census Data Safe? – A 30 second video from the Bureau about the security of US Census information.
Sample letters and questionnaires:
- Sample invitation letter
- Sample paper questionnaire (in English and Spanish)
- Video Guide to Completing the 2020 Census Online: English, Spanish
- How to Respond to the 2020 Census Paper Questionnaire
Outreach materials and curriculum:
- Outreach materials
- Statistics in Schools – curriculum and lesson materials for pre-K through adult learners
- Public service announcement toolkit
- Census Counts, Get out the Count Outreach and Best Practices toolkit
Webinars on reaching older people
Using Voter Activation Network for Census outreach
- State Voices has a comprehensive library of training and materials to help your organization use Census for canvassing outreach
Understanding Census questions
- Census Counts: Race and National Origin Question
- 1 pager description of Race and National Origin question
- Race and Origin questions, in-depth explainer
- Census 101 – Quick read to help understand what the US Census is, how to participate, and language resources.
- Why Are They Asking That? – Answers why each question is asked on the US Census.
LGBT readings of Census
- National lgbtq Task Force explainer – Guides people who identify as LGBT how to fill out the census and focuses on those who do not identify with any of the options given (i.e. homeless, nonbinary, relationship status).
- How the 2020 Census Counts People Experiencing Homelessness – Focuses on counting people for the census that do not have an address (i.e. people who live / sleep outdoors) and how the census finds these people.
- Handout for Homeless Audience – From the US Census Website. Explains to homeless populations where they can go to ensure they are counted in the census.
- The 2020 Census is Vital for People with Disabilities – Minimally answers questions those with disabilities may have and why taking part in the Census is important.
Counting Families, Children and Special Cases:
- Census Chat: Divorce This focuses on how to count children and grandchildren when part of a divorced family.
- Who To Count) – provides more clarity to this question and also provides more resources to “special circumstances” (i.e. foreign citizens, students, and those incarcerated).
- Counting Your Family and Young Children – More information on how and who to count for the census.
- FAQ | Prison Gerrymandering Project – FAQ’s for those with family members who are currently incarcerated.
- Fact Sheet for Group Housing – Information on Group Housing and how to make sure everyone is counted.
- Census Procedures Outlined for LTC Facilities – Information about Long-Term Care Facilities and how to count those in one
- Census Partnership Renters One-Pager – A resource for those who are property managers and what they can do to help their tenants.
- Language guides – guides to the 2020 Census questionnaire in 59 languages
- Language Resources and How to Get Assistance – Shows languages available for English second language speakers.
- Italiano/Italian: Guida video per completare il Censimento 2020 online – A video in Italian about the US Census and how to answer the questions.
- List of Census Questionnaire Assistance phone numbers in 13 languages
Asian Americans, Native Hawaiians, Pacific Islander Communities:
- Fighting for an accurate count in the 2020 Census – A resource page with various links and facts to help those who identify as Asian Americans, Native Hawaiians, or Pacific Islanders.
- Population In Student Housing, Off Campus or With Parents, College Students Count in 2020 Census Where – Helps college students identify if they must fill out the census, or if they still fall in with their parents (a helpful video is included in link).
Why Census Matters:
- Why Being Counted is as Important as your Vote – A 9 minute TEDx video about why the US Census is important and underrepresented groups.