How to apply to the MPA Program
Step 1: File an online application through the following website: Graduate College Application.
After you submit the online application you will need to wait for your application to be processed. Once it has been processed by the system (2-3 days) you will receive an email with a link to your application summary. This is where you will upload your supporting materials (resume, personal statement, writing sample, and input your recommender’s email addresses). You will be required to submit copies of all transcripts. If you are accepted into the program you will be required to submit sealed official transcripts that will be crosschecked with your uploaded copies.
Step 2: The following materials must be uploaded to the electronic submission system. (Please upload the documents in the PDF format.)
- Upload official copies of Registrar issued transcripts from all institutions attended (Students are REQUIRED to upload transcripts. Do not send in hard copy transcripts. The Department cannot upload transcripts on the behalf of applicants.)
- Three letters of recommendation (you must input your recommender’s email address in the application summary. The system will send an upload link to your recommender’s email address.)
- Personal statement. (1-2 pages in length) Please identify a concentration in your statement. You may use the following as an outline for your personal statement:
- What is your background and academic interests?
- Why did you decide to study public administration at the graduate level?
- What are your professional goals?
- How does an MPA degree fit into your short and long-term plans for your professional career?
- A sample of your written work no more than 8-10 pages double-spaced in length. Academic writing samples preferred.
- TOEFL/ ILETS Scores: International students must submit TOEFL scores (institution code 1851) or qualify for a waiver. Test scores cannot be more than two years old
- Application for Graduate Appointment (if you wish to be considered for a research assistantship, must submit GRE scores) GRE scores (required for MPA applicants requesting program administered financial assistance; optional for MPA applicants who are not requesting aid) Submit scores to UIC’s institution code: 1851
The Department of Public Administration requires an undergraduate grade point average of at least 3.00 (A= 4.00) for the final 60 semester (90 quarter) hours of baccalaureate study, including all of the work taken in the term in which the student began the final 60 semester hours of study (programs may require a higher GPA). If your GPA is below 3.0, your application must be approved by the Graduate College.
International Students are required to submit TOEFL/ILETS scores. Please visit OAR’s website for more information.
Do you have questions about our application process? Please visit the following links below for helpful tips! If you still have questions please email Sarah McDonald at firstname.lastname@example.org
MPA Application Deadlines
|Priority and Financial Aid||N/A||N/A||February 1|
|International Students||July 15||December 15||February 15|
|Degree, Non-Degree to Degree and Readmission||November 1||February 1||June 15|
|Non-Degree (Assigned and Unassigned)||November 15||April 15||July 15|